Saturday 5 October 2024

Barn Owls....!!!!!

 On the 5th March 2006 , I looked out of my front window and saw a Barn Owl a beautiful sighting hunting low over the grass , it was the first sighting in Calderdale for many years and at least 20 years since I'd seen one. It stayed for a few nights and then was not seen again . A few twitched it...!!!

The next year 2007 the first pair raised 2 young and again this was the first breeding for 20 + years. Since then they have become the commonest Owl in Calderdale and its not uncommon to see many birds (10+)   in an evening up on the moors edge. 

 Last night I looked out the window and there was a Barn Owl hunting the field in front of the house  , to say I was made up was an underestimation , it was the first one since March 2006 ...funny old game this birding lark........


1 comment:

David Sutcliffe said...

Let's hope it lasts with the Barn Owls as signs are good for them.