Tuesday 21 May 2019

Summer Plumage Purple Sandpiper

I arrived at Ringstone on my way to Manchester Airport to pick up some family. There were lots of gulls and a couple of GCGrebes , A look on the shoreline 1 LRP , 1 lapwing , 1 Oyck and little else on the first scope , the heat haze was terrible and I turned on the gulls 14 LBBGull , 6 BHGull and 1 Herring Gull....Another scope on the shoreline excellent 2 Ringed Plover ,1 Dunlin and another LRp and huddled together.Text out to the locals...I will have another look another wader caught my eye dull looking thing in the stones no colour but deffo not a Dunlin..!!!
   It was hard to pick out as the heat haze was strong ,  but it seemed to have white flanks with black spots , leg colour pale and bill dark could not get any detail , at one point I saw it run away from the back which looked like a squashed circle and low down , this is what made me think Purple Sand  ...It had to be a Purple Sand but not enough detail to be 100% so called for reinforcements as I had to leave to do my pick up..Fortunatley John Marsh and Phil D got some photo's and DJS got some better views later on ,,excellent thanks lads for confirming............




5 comments:

Dave Franz said...

Good call on the Purple Sandpiper this morning and a great find.

AndyC said...

Thanks Dave ,, I have now joined the Purple Sand gang....Bri Sumner , NCD and you...cheers im having a whiskey

Brian Sumner . said...

Nice find Andy. I must be due for another soon. My Soil Hill bird was way back in 12/11/06.
I remember you looking around in the dark for it. Luckily it stayed till the next day.

AndyC said...

Cheers Bri , Yes i remember it was very very windy ............................

Brian Sumner . said...

Thats right Andy, we had to hold onto Sean Gray whilst he got some photos.